A good song is like a picture – it brings back vivid memories. When you hear a certain tune you can remember exactly where you were, what you were doing, and how you felt. Music has the ability to tap into your memory vault and bring back old feelings, both good and bad.
In an effort to update my I-Pod with both old and new tunes I flipped through my CDs I had a bit of nostalgia and started seeing myself at different points of my life listening to music that has brought out one emotion or another.
I think that everyone has a list of songs that will forever take them “back down memory lane.” I’m a bit of an old, tortured, soul and can be eclectic in my taste in music. This list of songs represents some moments in my life that will likely be with me even in my old age when dementia sets in. Not all of them may be my favorites, but they all paint a picture.
- “Thinking About You “ – Frank Ocean
- “Someone Like You” – Adele
- “Song for You” – Donny Hathaway
- “All I Do Is Think of You” – Troop
- “Kissing You” – Keith Washington
- “I Care for You” – Aaliyah
- “Congratulations” – Vesta
- “Superstar/Until You Come Back to Me” – Luther Vandross
- “Amazing” – Luther Vandross
- “Weak” – SWV
- “Cause I Love You” – Lenny Williams
- “Before I Let You Go” – Blackstreet
- “Love” – Music
- “California Love” – 2Pac
- “Nobody Supposed to Be Here” – Deborah Cox
- “Cupid” – 112
- “Dreaming of You” – Selena
- “Giving Him Something He Can Feel” – En Vogue
- “They Don’t Know” – Jon B.
- “Be Without You” – Mary J. Blige
- “Best of Me” – Mya
- “Spice Up Your Life” – Spice Girls (Don’t judge…lol)
- “I’ll Make Love to You” – Boyz II Men
- “Meeting in My Bedroom” – SILK
- “He Can’t Love You” – Jagged Edge
I’m sure there are others, but that dementia may have begun to set in a little early. My trip down memory lane ends here…but oh what a journey. “Like” if this list has you fumbling for your I-POD or Pandora dial or reaching for your cell so that you can text, “I was just thinking about you” to a certain someone who may have given a special meaning to song that will always stroke your memory.